Super G Hat
Super G Hat
Grayson gets a Christmas hat every year, & for this hat (his 4th!) he requested some colorwork. I decided to go simple but graphic, & I'm so happy with the result! This is basically a color theory study (my favorite class in college!) & while I chose rather muted colors in Brooklyn Tweed's Loft yarn, you could mix brights, neutrals, or complimentary colors to create your own unique hat! Although it's knit up in fingering weight yarn, it knits up quickly on US 3 & US 6 needles & the unisex sizing fits pretty much any adult head (just smaller heads with a bit of slouch!).
– One size/unisex; to fit adult head
– Finished circumference: 20" at brim
– Finished height: 8.5"
– Y1: 115 yards fingering weight yarn
– Y2: 115 yards fingering weight yarn
– Y3: 35 yards fingering weight yarn
– Sample knit in Brooklyn Tweed Loft Y1: soot, Y2: snowbound, Y3: wool socks
Needles & Notions
– 1 US size 3 16" circular needle
– 1 US size 6 16" circular needle
– 1 set US size 6 DPNs (for decreases)
– Stitch markers
– Tapestry needle
– Measuring tape
– Blocking materials
11 sts & 13.5 rows = 2 inches in stockinette stitch in the rnd
SKILLS & NOTES
If you are confused or stuck, there are a lot of great tutorials online for all of these techniques!
– Knitting in the round
– 3 color colorwork - don't be intimidated by this! The colorwork on this hat is only for 16 rounds & it's a great way to practice. There are a few places where you may want to trap your floats (particularly at the beginning and end of the chart), but you may not need to. And blocking helps greatly to smooth out any imperfections (otherwise known as marks of character)!
– Simple decreases